How to Make Your Own Buffalo Sauce
Buffalo wings are a staple food in modern American cuisine. For a reasonable price, they can be found at clubs, sports bars, and restaurants all over the country. They are quickly becoming one of the most popular finger foods in the United States. There’s even an annual buffalo wing eating contest in, you guessed it, Buffalo, New York. Joey ‘Jaws’ Chestnut holds the record for most wings eaten in 12 minutes (206!).
If you ever find yourself craving some buffalo wings but don’t have a good wing joint nearby, why not learn to make award-winning buffalo sauce right in your own kitchen? It’s surprisingly easy.
Classic Homemade Buffalo Sauce Recipe
All buffalo sauce really is, is butter, hot sauce, and garlic powder all mixed together. It’s up to you to experiment with different hot sauces and spices until you make a sauce that tastes perfect to you. Here’s a recipe for a basic but classic buffalo sauce that you can add more flavor to if you find it necessary.
You Will Need…
- ½ cup of unsalted butter
- 1 cup of hot sauce (You can add more or less to taste). The most popular hot sauce for buffalo sauce is Franks.
- 1 tsp Worcestershire sauce
- ⅛ tsp garlic powder
- 1 tsp Cayenne pepper
- Salt to taste
Step 1 – Melt butter in a saucepan.
Step 2 – Combine other ingredients. Pour the rest of your ingredients into the saucepan with the butter and stir until it is one solid color.
Step 3 – Experiment. This is the fun part. Taste your sauce and add in any more ingredients that you think are necessary. You can add in more hot sauce or Cayenne pepper to make it hotter.
Step 4 – Enjoy! Coat chicken wings in your sauce, or just dip vegetables in it for a delicious, spicy but healthy snack. Serve some blue cheese dressing alongside your buffalo sauce for a perfect combination of spicy and cool.
Buffalo sauce is, of course, great on pieces of chicken, but it can be used in all sorts of other recipes. So, if you’ve had enough buffalo chicken wings, buffalo sauce can still come in handy as a delicious spicy punch to many meals.
If you’re looking for some good non-chicken wing buffalo sauce uses, here are some ideas to get your creative juices flowing.
- Buffalo chicken wraps. These can be found in many restaurants and lunch-stops around. Fill a tortilla with some buffalo chicken chunks, lettuce, tomatoes, and any other vegetables you like to make a healthy, tasty meal.
- Buffalo chicken salad. This meal is similar to the buffalo chicken wrap, just without the tortilla, and with a few more ingredients. If you aren’t much of a salad eater, adding some spicy buffalo chicken to your meal will turn you into one!
- Buffalo Cauliflower. The usual dull, unexciting vegetable — cauliflower — can be made a crowd-pleaser by either putting out some buffalo dipping sauce, or by coating and cooking the cauliflower in it.
- Buffalo Chicken Tenders or Nuggets. Making this is simple. Just coat cooked chicken tenders or nuggets in the sauce and eat them while they’re still hot.
Those are just a few of the hundreds of fun uses for buffalo sauce. Hopefully reading through that list has inspired you to make your own sauce. However, you don’t need to do anything fancy with buffalo sauce. Just setting a bowl of it out and putting a platter of vegetables beside it will be a great addition to any party or get-together.
Impress your friends and family and make some delicious finger food that is sure to please all ages!